Monday, November 27, 2006

Making a newby Podcast? At church? with kids?

I just listened to a tutorial podcast from Great Britain titled "Assignment:Podcast".
It gave a great overview of how to create an interesting podcast and what equipment was needed to produce it.
I'm trying to think of ways to introduce podcasting to children in a Sunday School environment, because I feel it may be one economical tool we can use to re-engage the next gen.
For a long time, I have been unhappy with the traditional Sinday school format. It's not bad, but it doesn't engage many students.Typically, it involves a lesson, a game, a craft, and/or a snack delivered in almost the same way every week. YAWN! Like all teaching, the teacher can make or break a cirriculum, however, in a church setting, the teachers are volunteers and the children are not motivated by a grading system or a graduation achievement.
So how do we motivate and engage students in a better way, while imparting to them the beliefs of our Faith? Could we provide interactive atmosphere that encourages a more societal(social)approach the teachings of Christ? Can we teach our children to be outwardly focused as they learn? Perhaps each class could have a wiki and a blog! Perhaps, podcasts made by the kids could be used as outreach tools to their regular mp3 savy friends! Perhaps a program like Flicker could be used to integrate video into the learning/sharing format.
I believe kids would more readily take to heart the lessons if they had a vested interest in them.
The most fun I ever saw a group of kids have in a church setting-while learning, was when I had them write,direct,act and film a movie.
There are obstacles to this new techno-teach. Parents of children who regularly attend Sunday school tend to be more conservative than others. We need to help them to understand that technology taught well is an awsome tool! We would have to invest in equipment and training for the church volunteers. We would probably even have to educate the church staff.I'm sure many feathers would be ruffled, but I believe that with patience and a sense of humor, we could expand the church's horizons.
I have been teaching at the elementary age for about 10 years and I see the sunday school attendance steadily declining. My own son ,age 9, just attends for the after lesson football game. Are we inadvertantly teaching our children that learning about our Faith is boring? Let's wake up and smell the coffee. We need to make some changes for the better. I'm very new to this web2.0 world, but I believe it could vastly improve the learning experience for our kids.

1 Comments:

Blogger Langwitches said...

Let's talk how you can make Podcasting a reality in your Sunday school class.

12:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home